It all sounds a bit mad?

Well I'll admit, the requirements in the previous post do sound rather challenging - some may say crazy, some stupid.  Nevertheless, I would like to see how close I can get.

There are many contradictions.  For a start it sounds like I want the comfort of a 10m+ cruiser from a lightweight car top boat.  Deranged. Then I want a really stable platform that is also capable of easy self rescue.  And a boat with less than 30cm of draft which can also make quite significant  (and relatively speedy) coastal hops?

First things first - it looks like I want a multihull, all the stability stuff I want together with light weight steers in that direction.  What I need to do is make sure that the ability to self rescue is not lost .  Whether it is a cat, a tri, a tacking outrigger or a proa is still pretty open at this point but I suspect a cat will probably win out.

Something that will help is that I am not a purist.  I like sailing, I like rowing and I even like motors too.  Moreover I would be happy to use any combination of the three to get where I want to go.  In fact, I want to relegate the sail rig to an assisting role so that it doesn't take over the whole boat.

Things that have inspired me include the tremendous motor-sailing Endorphin trimaran of Russell Maxwell:



The beach rescue 'Pattino' rowing catamarans of the Italian coast:



And all the various paddle/sail combos enjoyed by Sea Kayakers like:


Since the sail rig is not going to have to provide scintillating light weather performance it is going to be small, low and when it is not needed I want it to disappear completely.

The only thing to do now is try and develop my appalling sketching skills and provide some indication of what I want to build in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment